Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Divine Institution

***I wrote this a month ago and never posted it because it's hard to put somethings out there. But I should have done it then but I didn't. So I'm doing it now:


In our ward a little while back our Bishop read us a message from the first presidency of our church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints, asking us to do all we can to support this marriage coalition.
I know that anything that comes from the First Presidency is from our Heavenly Father.

This is directly from the marriage coalition website:

The Issue

California voters passed Proposition 22 in 2000 by more than 61%, saying that a marriage in California is between a man and a woman. Earlier this year, four activist judges based in San Francisco wrongly overturned the people's vote, legalizing same-sex marriage.

The Consequences

The Supreme Court’s decision to legalize same-sex marriage did not just overturn the will of California voters; it also redefined marriage for the rest of society, without ever asking the people themselves to accept this decision. This decision has far-reaching consequences. For example, because public schools are already required to teach the role of marriage in society as part of the curriculum, schools will now be required to teach students that gay marriage is the same as traditional marriage, starting with kindergarteners. By saying that a marriage is between “any two persons” rather than between a man and a woman, the Court decision has opened the door to any kind of “marriage.” This undermines the value of marriage altogether at a time when we should be restoring marriage, not undermining it.

The Solution

Vote YES on Proposition 8 to overturn the outrageous Supreme Court decision and restore the definition of marriage that was approved by over 61% of voters. Proposition 8 is NOT an attack on gay couples and does not take away the rights that same-sex couples already have under California’s domestic partner law. California law already grants domestic partners all the rights that a state can grant to a married couple. Gays have a right to their private lives, but not to change the definition of marriage for everyone else.


In our Church we have a proclamation to the world, written by our first presidency called "The Family: A Proclamation to the World". In this proclamation our prophet defined marriage as this:
"marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children."

God the creator of all things, has ordained marriage between a man and a woman. Who are we to call it otherwise. California is a influential state and others will soon follow suit. We should do our part to help reverse what 4 judges did, to overturn the majority of votes (61%) by the people of California. I feel that is that morally unethical to allow four people to choose something that affects millions, and will change the course of history as we know it.

Our Church has issued an article entitled the Divine Institution of Marriage. It clearly defines why our church opposes the redefinition of marriage, why it is harmful to our society and our children.

If nothing else comes from me writing this, but a few more people reading this article, then I will be more than happy.

It explains why the church has taken the stand it has. It's not an attack on the individual and their choices. But some things are worth fighting for because the consequences of these actions will be unending, and everyone will feel them.
READ IT! I promise if you have unanswered questions this will answer them. Whether you are LDS or not. Marriage a Divine Institution is another testimony builder that our Heavenly Father is the leader of this church, there is not one question that I can think if that went unanswered in that article.
I know that there are reader's of this blog that don't believe the way that I do. That will probably not agree with this post, but if you read the article I promise that you will gain a better understand of my/the church's perspective on this topic.

1 comment:

Shanae said...

Excellent, nicely put together, I am glad that you posted that. I think it is important for people to know EXACTLY what is going on and not twist the clear message of what needs to happen and why this is so important!