Wednesday, April 27, 2011

a mom's motto: expect the unexpected (learn to deal with chaos)

As a Mom, I expect a certain level of chaos in my life, some days are more chaotic than others; but I've just come to expect the unexpected these days. And pretty much, we can deal with anything that comes our way and we're smiling about it. Some days are way more crazy than others though, and yesterday was one of those days.

I will fast forward through the usual morning chaos (there was plenty), and onto the more than usual afternoon chaos:

Kaiya had her cousin Luke over, and we decided to make dyed macaroni noodle necklaces. We put a big bag of noodles in a freezer Ziploc, we added the rubbing alcohol and then a very generous amount of blue dye (you know, to make them super blue).

We each took turns holding the top and shaking the bag to make sure all the noodles were covered with dye. On Kaiya's second turn she decided to shake it from the bottom of the bag, and before I could stop her she shook with all her might. The noodles literally exploded everywhere! The entire (huge) kitchen floor was covered with wet food coloring and wet freshly dyed noodles! It was MESS!!

With the scary thought of my mother's (hardwood) kitchen floor being dyed blue (while she's out of town) I got on my hands and knees as fast as possible to scrub the floor clean. I sent Kaiya up stairs to change, so I could put spray & wash all over her clothes, before they got stained (which I just remembered that i forgot to do..oops!)

We got the floor cleaned, recovered quickly and continued dying and making necklaces, snakes and bracelets.

That was just the beginning and least of the craziness, that was about to happen:

Fast forward about an hour. I am in the process of making dinner. Noah has been woken up from his afternoon nap (from the dog barking at the door, Kaiya thinks it's HILARIOUS to ring the door bell when she's outside, to make the dog bark) so he's was super clingy and will not be put down. I put him in his highchair with some toys--he's happy (finally!...phew). I'm making homemade mac and cheese, while the bread is in the kitchen aid to be mixed (for exactly three minutes, says the recipe). Then my Dad walked in and helped grate the cheese.

Some cheese falls on the floor, he calls Ella the dog to come eat it. Then what happens next is unexplainable:

The Kitchen Aid mixer, mixed it self from the counter, to the floor (right where the dog was eating cheese). The crash was shockingly loud!

I turned around from the stove (where I was making mac and cheese), and without thinking,  put the opened can of milk (it was opened with a bottle opener so there were no sharp edges) on the tray of Noah's highchair which was right behind me. (duh!)

I saw the mixer on the floor, Ella yelped loudly and took off (and I set the milk on the tray highchair). We picked up the mixer it was fine, we plugged it back in and tried it. It still worked!! There is a huge dent in  the floor, that we inspected, and then wondered if Ella was injured, it literally missed her by and inch. We called her back and she slithers in, shaking like a leaf. We check her out and amazingly she is OK too!

At that point I take the time to check on Noah. He has poured the milk all over his tray, and is happily slapping the milk and splashing it everywhere. He is covered in milk, from head to toe. sticky, nasty canned milk that smells weird. Totally my fault, but hilariously chaotic all the same!

So this is my question to you: Has your mixer ever fallen off the counter while it was mixing!? That's craziness I tell you!

So as you can see, you know why my motto is what it is. You never know whats going to happen next! Have you had some crazy chaotic days too? Do tell!

I also must add that I am extremely, extremely grateful that Noah was in his highchair (where I rarely put him at this time of day). If he wasn't he would have most definitely been where the mixer crashed, in his favorite drawer pulling all the Tupperware out! We will take chaos any day over tragedy! I'm grateful for a loving, all knowing, kind Heavenly Father who looks out for me and my family.

The End. 

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

WOW! That is extremely chaotic! And as you know, since we have the male/female counterpart children, I have totally been there! haha I cannot think of a scenario this awesome off the top of my head, but wow, this is pretty great. And now I am a little nervous because we just got a Kitchenaid and I am definitely gonna keep my eye on it while it's mixing! Oh and putting the milk on the tray totally made me laugh, because I am always doing stuff like that in a pinch and not thinking about it until Thomas looks at me like- ARE YOU CRAZY? haha Good story friend.

lizzie said...

I can so relate. My mixer (we actually use a food processor) hasn't mixed itself off the counter, but it's been close.

I think you probably did a much better job of handling the dye on the floor than I would have!

And I'm always doing things that I think will be fine (milk on the highchair tray) and then realizing too late all of the things that are obviously wrong with it.

Hollie said...

hahah oh boy. you have a funny life!! ps can you help me sew something on friday? or are you too chaotic :)

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh...i feel TERRIBLE that luke was over there for your horrible day!!! no doubt, he added to the stress and troubles. aghhh! i am so sorry!

Melissa said...

oh no mara, he was a sweet little angle like always. we're glad he came to play!

Smith Family said...

You just described most of my days. No I haven't had the mixer fall on the floor (where's some wood? I need to knock on it) but it feels like if it's not one thing it's another!!