Wednesday, December 07, 2011

a little love for my body

I love my body. I've been thinking about this a lot today, especially since I have had to try on bathing suits to bring to Hawaii (not my favorite thing right now).

I love to take care of my body. I love to eat tasty, healthy foods, I love to exercise my body, to feel burning in my lungs knowing I am giving them capacity to breath better.
I love that I can run and jump and play with my babies. And hug and cuddle them with my arms.  I love that I can swim and climb and walk. I love that I can use my hands to grab little hands, make dinner, clean, create things!

I love that my body has carried and brought our children into this world.  I love that it has fed and nourished my children. I love that I can use my brain to think, learn and grow.

I love all that my body does for me. I am GRATEFUL (immensely) for my body, and all it has been through.




Do I have a perfectly tight rear end? no!! Do I wish i did? yes!! Do i wish my stomach was flat (heck yes!) But it's not. Why?  Because it housed my children and stretched much further than I thought possible. It held a 10 pd 23 inch long baby for crying out loud. My body deserves some love for that. Thank you body. :)


one week before my ten pounder Noah was born.



At this current time in my life of running around, playing, chasing, cleaning (and cleaning), bathing kids, cleaning, nursing, teaching, playing, cuddling, tucking in, putting to sleep, and on and on; my body being perfect is not all that high on my priority list. My body being healthy and loved is. Teaching my children to take care of and love their bodies is important too. My children being healthy and loved and happy are my first priority.



I want to show my body love by taking care of it, BUT I do NOT want to obsess over the imperfections of my butt (like I have done in the past). I do not want to spiral into thinking I AM my body. I am NOT my body, my body is the home of my spirit and it allows me to do everything I want in life! That is why I love it and am grateful for it.

I work out, I eat healthy (most of the time) because it makes me feel good, and I want to give my body what it needs. But I am busy doing what I love, so for the most part you will find me with my children enjoying the beautiful life I have been given.


Someday when the kids are grown and, sadly, my hours aren't consumed with tiny little humans (who love me more than any one), I will have a rock hard behind and wash board abs again. But until then I will do what I can with the time I have (eat well and exercise a little everyday), and most importantly I will be ever so grateful for the body my Heavenly Father has given me and for all the wonderful things it does for me every second of every day.



BUT you can bet as soon as Noah is done weaning himself I will be losing those extra 5-10 pounds!! pronto! That will be nice to have my body back!

7 comments:

lizzie said...

Amen. I could have written this post. And I'm glad to have a friend in the "I wish I had a tight butt" club.

Susan said...

Love this, as usual. Your posts are always so wise. Thanks for the reminder :) Think of all the happiness that could be had if everyone had this perspective!

Stephanie said...

Such great sentiments friend! I love your hair by the way- so hot!

Becky said...

Love your post!

Anonymous said...

I appreciate this post. So true!! :)

Matti said...

I hear ya. I've been feeling a lot like this lately. Especially now since I have broken my foot. I realize there are so many things that I could do before when my imperfectly shaped body was whole. I need to just enjoy life and quit obsessing over how I look. Thanks Melissa! Can't wait to see you guys!!

liko said...

ditto!!!!
such great, honest writing!!
i also love and appreciate my body! i don't like feeling insecure and do not wish it on any girl - young or old! we need to be grateful for our healthy bodies and all that they do!!
love you, friend.
and i despise swimsuit shopping, too!