Saturday, June 28, 2008

the best mango ever

one of my favorite things about living in Hawaii is the abundance of the tastiest tropical fruit you've ever had, at certain times of the year. Right now is mangoes, I just ate one for breakfast and it was so good that i ate the whole thing by myself. i cannot even tell you how good it was--you just have to have a perfectly ripe one yourself to know of it's sweet goodness. I'm still dreaming about it, so it's good i still have another one waiting on the counter for me. It's funny how we got them too. our neighbor was walking around like santa clause with a big ole sac of mangoes just passing them out. that's how abundant they really are.


when we first moved to Hawaii we lived in Hauula and there was a house that always lined avocados on their brick wall for people to take because they had so many. The avocados here are HUGE and the best avocados i have ever had! they are so good. There is a house down the road that has so many on their tree that they just leave them there to die. I think next time i'm going to ask them if i can pick them then i can sell them. because there are so many i would make a fortune!

I just had to express how much i love having these amazing delicious treats so close and so easy to get. mmm what could be better?

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

this is so true! our landlords have a mango and avocado tree and many others and when i wake up in the morning it is not uncommon to see some sort of produce lining our little ledge. delicious!

echo said...

2 of the best flavors ever! i love mangoes and avocados. they are so yummy!!

Noelle said...

When Kurt's family came to visit they would buy mangos for a dollar a piece! I yelled at them for wasting their money and told them they could just pick them from a tree. The didn't mind because it was worth their money. So if you do sell them 15 mangos can get you $15.

Kim's just sayin' said...

those are 2 of my all time favorite things in the world. Yum. I wish I had a mango on my counter to eat.

lizzie said...

Those are two of the things I miss most about Hawaii . . . besides all of our friends, of course. It just makes me sad when I see pathetic little avacados for $1.50 a piece out here.

echo said...

i don't have your phone number so i am going to be lame and extend an invite on your blog.
please come join us for a night of all american fun thursday july 3rd at 5pm, BYUH softball field. game starts at 5 bbq/potluck at 6:30ish. please bring a fruit salad if you can. oh also, this is for parents only since baseball isn't the friendliest environment for little ones. i know a few people are feeling nervous about the game, but it is all just for fun. i hope i see you there!!

. said...

I remember the first Hawaiian avocado I ate, heaven!

Noelle said...

We're leaving sometime in August. We don't have contracts with any school yet but we've been negotiating with this lady that recruits through BYUH. Did you tell me that Chad served in Korea? That's awesome! Tell me what you guys are thinking your plans are going to be for Korea. I am elated thinking you'll be there the same time as us!