Friday, June 20, 2008

curtains

the front
the back
pulled up

I got the idea for these curtains from mara. she's such a crafty lady :) i made them for kaiya's room--she really likes the animals. they're perfect curtains for tva because it's so hard to switch the curtains that come with the apartment without making it a big deal, and getting a whole new curtain and rod--you can just tie these on with the ribbon and then pull them up easily. it's perfect.

14 comments:

Kim's just sayin' said...

once again, you are amazing! LOVE them. Maybe you can help me make some when we come back. I bet it helps make the room!

The Price Family said...

Good Job. I love those curtains, Anything beats the old TVA curtains.

Shanae said...

love the curtains need to come check them out, sorry I didn't the other day, I am totally missing out!!

Stephanie said...

ambrose has needed curtains for like 4.5 months or more... can you teach me? i'll pay you in... friendship?? :)

Stephanie said...

we might be moving back in laie in july... i will let you know and then let the sewing begin!!! even if we stay here- my life will be more simple in july and i can learn then if that works for you lady.

ashley said...

ok crafty, those are great!!!! good thing you will be at tva for so long and will be able to enjoy them for a while ;)

Jamie said...

Those are very cute, I love them !!

lizzie said...

Do you have a pattern for those? I might be needing to make some curtains soon, and I really like the way those work. They look great.

Melissa said...

lizzie--i don't have a pattern but they're not hard to make.
just measure the amount of fabric you need and then cut the back to that size plus a couple of inches. in the front you do the same but if your making a panel you just adjust it so that together they're the same size at the back. Sew the panel to the front. lay the pieces out on the ground, right sides together and then place the ribbon where you want it (i did every 5 inches) and pin them in. You put the ribbons in by folding them in half and sticking the fold in. (i made the ribbons ten inches long for the short ones. the long ones are just the length of your curtain.)
so pin them between the fabric--about a fourth of an inch or so. As you can see the long one that is the length of the curtains is the third one in, on my curtains. and you stick it in the same way. I sewed ricrac on top of the long ribbons first.
then just sew it together. i didn't hem the bottom i just used pinking shears for a decorative, easy finish. thats it. easy.

Tane and Angela said...

melissa! these are really cute curtains...where did you get the material..it's hard to find that here in hawaii unless you got it online? Call me up when you come out to kapolei=)

.From Her. said...

Melissa!! I'm so glad you left a comment!! Now I can save your blog, and stalk you, all I desire!!! :)

Noelle said...

So cute Melissa! I bought material to make curtains a year ago and never did. Now I look at yours and wish i would have. I LOVE the material too! If anybody's looking for a pretty good fabric store on the island try Kaimuki Dry Goods. It's in town, specifically Kaimuki. They carry Amy Butler.

Atwood Ohana said...

Melissa! It was so fun to find you! Your little girl is so dang cute! And I loved these curtains you made! Do you sell them? Hook me up! haha. You still live in TVA then? Are you done with school? Your hubby? What have you been up to? Let's keep in touch! we miss you as our neighbors too.
love ya, Heather

leslie jo said...

You are such a great seamstress! I love those! And I love the post below of Kaiya feeding minnie hehe!