Monday, June 09, 2008

saving time



for the first time ever in her two years existence on this earth, about a week ago, kaiya slept through the night from 8 to 6 for the FIRST time EVER!! and she went to sleep all by herself it was so surreal, i honestly didn't know if that would ever happen. I also didn't how much time i was losing in my life to her sleeping schedule and routine.
chad was a major factor in this whole night time sleeping thing--he even calculated how much time he saved me in putting her to sleep alone. i used to spend AT LEAST one hour every time i laid her down for nap or bed getting her to go to sleep before i would leave her. chad lays her down and tells her he loves her and that's that. no games, no waiting we just lay her down and go. she doesn't even cry.

so here it is in a simple equation:

two hours a day seven days a week= 14 hours a week putting her to sleep. 14 hours x four weeks is 56 hours a month which is about two and half FULL DAYS a month. which is 12 and a half days every six months or 25 FULL DAYS a year.

she is almost two, so i lost two full months of my life, AT the very least, putting her to bed. that doesn't count night waking and the nights when it took longer than an hour to get her to sleep. it also doesn't count the times when it took less than an hour to get this girl to sleep. i think i may have spoiled her just a little bit. :)

don't get me wrong, i seriously don't regret it at all, and there are so many reasons why i don't--the biggest being all the priceless cuddle, singing, kissing and "i love you mommy" time that could never be replaced. but next time around i will probably try something different. but i still won't do the crying it out thing. its just not the right thing for me.

so what have i been doing with all this free time? like i said i feel like i have so so much more time on my hands. i always wondered how everyone got so much done and i felt like i didn't have any time to do anything. now i know that i am not an extremely inadequate housewife as i previously assumed, although its definitely not my strong point. i just spent A LOT of time putting her to sleep. which left not a lot of time to do other things.

so here's my list (i like lists lately) of things i've been doing:

  1. i read the twilight books, as stubborn as i've been to not read them i enjoyed it. silly story? yes. but still entertaining. here's how i saw it: twilight-didn't like it very much but couldn't put it down. new moon- really liked it. eclipse-had a hard time getting into it, but l really liked it once i did. stephanie meyer did a good job at making me want to read the one that comes out in aug, she leaves you hanging at the end of eclipse.
  2. i decorated kaiyas name in wooden letters to hang in her room.

  3. ive almost finished making a dress for ME. which i've never done before

  4. i watched A LOT of What Not to Wear, my all time favorite show.

  5. hanging out at the beach

to save more time i decided that im going to blog in proper fashion and not capitalize my letters. it's been an internal dilemma since i started blogging a couple of years ago, i just have a hard time not doing it "right", but i have to say it's definitely saving me time. thats my new motto in life.

p.s. sadly i forgot to bring my camera with me a lot on this trip so i have like no pictures, but i should be getting some from other camera's soon. keeping my fingers crossed.


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

where are you guys? Those letters look SO AWESOME! I can't believe Kaiya is sleeping through the night, what a big girl! I am getting impatient with Annie and it has only been 3 months!

Noelle said...

Good for you Melissa! You really appreciate your time more when you get it back from not having it for so long. I cannot wait to see the dress you made for yourself!

leslie jo said...

Glad to see you back. I too did the same thing with Jo and it did waste alot of time. Finally at 3 year old we did this thing over spring break if she went to bed with just a story, and love ( no me sleeping with her) we got to go out. We went to the Discovery Gateway in SLC. Then the next step was keeping her in bed all night. We put a quarter on her dresser and told her as long as she stayed in bed allnight it would stay there and she could save it for a weekend treat. It took a bit of trying but it worked. I blame her being so attached because I rocked and sang and rocked and sang her to sleep too much as a younger toddler and she just was attached. WITH Ryker it has been much different he gets a love, his doggie, baby, and blanket and goes to bed.
ANYWAY.. I love the letters and that you are making a dress you will have to post it!
Take CAre

Melissa said...

hi leslie!! good to know that I am not the only person on the planet who did that. I was beginning to feel like I was. Thanks for the helpful hints. and I will definitely be doing something different with number two as well.

ashley said...

ok, you are a saint for taking that much time with kaiya, i would have not been able to do it. seriously, i get anxiety when my kids won't go down and i feel like exploding sometimes! ha ha, not that bad, but i can not handle when they don't go to sleep good and easy.

your making a dress?!? rad. i need to learn how to sew more than a straight line, can you teach me? please?

oh, and i used hot glue to stick the stuff to the rocks! easy peasey.

Leah Remillet said...

i'm really excited to see the dress you're making! really, really excited! also i love that you blogged about not capitalizing - i got a huge smile from that. the only reason i don't is cause paysen is in my arms asleep so i'm typing one handed. ha.

Mary Boyd said...

I love how crafty you are. I always think I'm too busy being a mom, but you seem to find time.

Mary

Jennelle said...

More time is always a good thing =o) and those letter you did are so cute you crafty girl you.

Shanae said...

You are so crafty, SOOOO CUTE!!! I am sad I wasn't able to make it out to Ko'Olina, I have just been trying to keep my house under control and figure out schedules between Aaron and I:( ARRRR! I am glad you guys are home.

Anonymous said...

Melissa... you are so good at crafts!! Kaiya is getting so big!! I know Josh would so love to see her as would I!!! We would love to see you anyways!! At times like these we are glad to have wonderful families and a great country to live in!! Forgot to tell you but Happy Mother's day sorry so late!! Have been trying to keep myself busy with Josh gone and Happy Father's Day Chad!!! I wish you guys could come out and see is for a little bit so you could see England!! Do try to come and visit!! That would be so AWESOME!!! Well talk to you later!! Keep up the good work!!

stef j. said...

Those KAIYA blocks are AMAZING!! I too am excited to see your dress. Is it the pattern you once showed me? And what fabric?

That's crazy that two months of your life were spent laying Kai down! I'm sure that'll be a story she hears for the reminder of her mortal, and perhaps eternal, existance. :)

Jamie said...

Good Job Guys!!
Im trying to do the comment thing :)

Kim's just sayin' said...

super cute dress and letters!!! I love that show too, Nate always laughs at me because its one of the few shows I could watch like all day. And I feel the exact same about those dang twilight books!!!! super silly story but somehow you just can't stop reading!!!

Erin said...

the wood letters are sooo cute! I want to do those for my kid! and um what not to wear...we used to watch marathons of that show. my mom is now addicted and threw out most of her closet after watching that show...it's such a good movtivator for older moms! way to go on jumping on the twilight bandwagon!