There are so many useful things you can find on you tube (do you sense my sarcasm?) . Like this video for instance: (watchers beware, it's about breastfeeding. actually you probably don't want to watch this--whoever you are, you may have nightmares.)
I was looking up different holds you can do with a fabric sling, when I came across a video of this crazy, high (i really think she was), lady talking about how disgusting a video about breastfeeding a 5 and 8 year old, was. I was so curious I had to watch the video and yes, it was much less than enjoyable. My least favorite, but favorite part is when the interviewer asks the little girl who is 8, i believe, "is breast milk good?" to which she replies: "it's better than anything in the world, better than a mango even".
It's creepy to me, I have the willies right now. But what's even creepier is that in some small way, in my little universe I am that woman. ahhhhhhh!!!!
Kaiya is only two, but she still nurses a little and Chad made me promise that she will be done by Christmas. I really wouldn't mind except Kaiya is like those little girls, she loves to nurse, it's her biggest source of comfort and her security blanket.
I don't want to force her to give up her security blanket, but I don't want this to get THAT out of hand either.The lady in the video believed in letting the children decide when they are done, which has always been my mantra. But Kaiya is the type who would nurse till she was 5 if I let her( I won't don't worry).
So needless to say that is NOT my mantra anymore.
10 comments:
haha! i didnt watch it since i just stopped having scary dreams from the last time i watched it. man, people like this little mango girl give breastfeeding it's creepy reputation. thanks a lot little mango girl.
whoa, i couldn't bring myself to watch that video. your description was enough to haunt me. i love your hippie side and i think its just fine that Kaiya still nurses. i'm sort of similar in my feelings towards nursing. except, i can't get pregnant while i nurse (so far) so if i want another baby i have to wean. myra stopped at 14 months.
i also think its okay to not keep that mantra. not all kids are self weaners, you know? and i kind of feel like part of my job as the mom is to be older, wiser and know when something is good for them, even when they don't. ie, not nursing until age 8!
um, wow. yeah a little wierded out by this. Okay, maybe wierded out a LOT. :)
I haven't watched it but it sounds disgusting. That's just wrong!
i bet when those little girls grow up they won't want to breast feed. seems like things always happen like that.
and that looks so nasty having a huge child nursing, uhg!
I breastfed Liliana until 2 months ago, 2 yrs and 4 months...I just needed sleep, otherwise I would probably still be doing it.
Trisha--
I don't nurse Kaiya at night anymore, but just before she goes to bed, and right when she wakes up.
I'm glad your a kindred spirit, I always feel like I am the only person I know who still nurses, and I have to justify it to everybody, because I feel like they think I'm a weirdo (which they probably don't).
good to know I'm not the only one who nurses past two.
I can't really relate because both of my kids weened themselves around 10 months. I wanted to do it til one... but better than a mango, SIIIICK!! If you are only feeding her 2 a day, wouldn't you just dry up?!?!
and I don't think you are a weirdo but if she's still nursing when we all leave TVA I might change my mind about you! ha ha!!!
so i went to foodland today after watching this video (actually only part of the video, i couldn't get through it) and saw a display of mangoes and immediately thought of an 8yr old breastfeeding. i think i will never look at a mango the same.
haha!! sorry echo.
Post a Comment