Friday, August 29, 2008

making changes

We've been decorating and making some changes around our house. I don't know what it is, but all of the sudden decorating is fun to me. It's never been a strong desire of mine, but it's slowly working it's way up my list of priorities. So I decorated the kitchen and Kaiya's bedroom and now we're working on the rest of the house. I have more pictures I need to take but for now these will work.
Here is our table that Chad's parent's helped a lot with. We didn't know how to finish it and what equipment we would need, so they came and helped us get the stuff and finish it. Thanks to them, in large part, we have a lovely black stained table now. Thanks guys!

our models (that's for you Koren) =)

I love how you can still see the wood through stain,much better than paint in my opinion.

this table folds up on both sides and gets nice and tiny, just the way chad likes things. Now it's out of the way when we're not using it, but it gets big enough to actually use--unlike our other table we had.

Also we have bamboo on our wall. I don't know what happened it just sprouted one night, behind our bed. Just kidding, I do know what happened, I put it there. It's a faux, really cheap headboard. I started making it last week one shoot at a time, then I decided to just finish it today (while kaiya was gone for three hours--thats another story in itself). I was going to make short skinny bamboo, but I took Chad's insight into consideration and this is what we came up with. They're not too special and I'm not even sure if I like it yet, but that doesn't diminish the pride that comes from the creative process of making things yourself. At least not for me... It would have to pretty ugly for that.

I chose to do bamboo cause our room is done in an Asian style so, it fits.


today I looked at this online store and saw this:


They win, but their's costs $125.00 and they didn't make it by hand (I bet) and they're professionals. Mine was five dollars for a roll of contact paper (plus a lot of drawing and cutting).

$125.00
- $5.00
______
$120.00 dollars that I saved!
So now whose the winner?

Actually I changed the leaves on mine after I saw theirs, their leaves were much cuter/better/less child-like looking, so I ripped mine off the wall and put new leaves on. Theirs still look better though. I really wish I would have seen theirs first, then I could copy it EXACTLY so that I would like mine more. But...oh well, remember how much money I saved?

13 comments:

.Ang. said...

YOU WIN!!!!!

That looks so good!! nice work!! I might have to come up there and take a closer look.

I also love that table! everytime I see it i wish we would have stained ours dark.. (Our exact replica of your table that we left in the frozen tundra that is home)

lizzie said...

That bamboo does look really nice. We did something similar in our new place, but yours is cheaper so you win.

Noelle said...

I LOVE IT! All you used was contact paper? That is so neat. You did such a good job!

ashley said...

ok, awesome!!!!! everything looks great. i totally agree with the taking pride in something that you made just cause you made it. it's feels so good to make something, and even better when it turns out great.

i have a lot of embroidering to do this next week, so whenever you want to come over i can teach you.

stef j. said...

i like it! all of it.

liko said...

haha, melissa, love the new decor -- very artsy and yes, you are the winner!! i didn't realize you were such a big fan of natasha. she'll be at the kahuku park today for her little brother's soccer game, if you wanted to get a pic or something. the medal was heavy, yes. it was fun to see you and kaiya again, see you at our next meeting!

Koren Crosby said...

That looks great, You did a great job.
The table looks good too, much better than laid on out of the floor. hehe.
Thanks for sharing
Mom Crosby

liko said...

yeah, it's so weird, tasha is still the same, she doesn't act any different, being an olympic gold-medalist. i didn't know you played soccer - awesome! i don't think it gets the recognition it deserves in the US, at least in comparison with football and basketball. i played a little, but i think that the reason i follow it is because i know her and want to watch her play.

Tane and Angela said...

man, that table looks 110% better than the ugly tva table...but where did you put that huge table? lucky if you had storage to put it in...so crafty

echo said...

very cool!

. said...

oh so creative! I can totally relate to the non-desire to decorate TVA apartments. I think it boils down to the difficulty of cinderblock, but you seem to have overcome that challenge quite nicely.

Leah Remillet said...

Love it - It looks way awesome! I think yours is the best and the fact that you created it - makes it 100 X better!

Chet said...

Thats so awesome!!! Melissa, you said you were not good at the whole decorating thing... i don't believe that for a second now!