Tuesday, December 02, 2008

christmas present #2

okay so i finished this one after it sat in my room for a month or so. I finished the inside which requires NO velcro, then when I was ready to finish the outside cover I could NOT find a 30 inch, white, hook and loop tape anywhere. There was black and beige (ugly and didn't match), but not white.

So finally I went to fabric mart in Kaneohe and they still didn't have any, they did however have boxes on the floor. The guy said it was probably in there but that they weren't opening the boxes right now, that irritated me slightly. But I was determined to get some somehow. I told them I needed velcro and that I couldn't come back cause I drove a half hour for velcro only. So finally they pulled together a couple of scraps and got me some. The hook side is one inch think and the loop side is 3/4 inch thick, but at that point I could have cared less. I just wanted some velcro, so I could finish this baby!

I got my velcro and I finished it. I just used fabric I had from Kaiya's curtains. I wanted to alternate the fabrics from panel to panel, but I only had enough of one fabric. But I still like the way it turned out, i just used the other stripey fabric for the circles of fabric at the top.

Here is the tutorial I used. I personally had a hard time following her directions. I don't know if it was cause I kept doing it late at night, or what, But i feel like she left out a lot of little details that are very helpful and prevent unpicking. It's fun though and free, so i can't complain too much. And it'll be easy to figure out with a little help from your main squeeze (it was easy for him).

I like it cause it matches her room, and I think Kaiya will like to lounge around on it too!

15 comments:

Stephanie said...

i am continuing to be so impressed! great job!!

why are they so unfriendly and not helpful at that fabric mart??? i have had a similar experience... a couple of times. i've wanted to scream , "DO YOU WANT TO MAKE MONEY OFF ME OR NOT!!?!?!?!?!!?"

:)

ashley said...

your awesome! i can just see kaiya kickin it in there!

stef j. said...

that is awesome! i love it!

and i too am not so fond of fabric mart. they only smile when gwen makes them with her irresistable gurgling and flashy blue eyes. we should boycott fabric mart ... nah.

The Varo's said...

that is so cute...i want to make one for myself!

AJ said...

love that ikea fabric. you are amazing!

.Ang. said...

That looks soo cute!!!!! I am impressed!

Good job!

Jennelle said...

What a great idea for a present. When I have some little ones I will definitely want to make one! Your so talented!

Looks like you had a fun Thanksgiving...That little dog is so cute. Do you know what I was thinking about the other day? Henry.....wasn't that your cats name? Brady said I could get a cat when we move and it made me think of your little guy that you adopted for a while.

Koren Crosby said...

You developing such a talent. Way to go, it is so fun to create, especially for your family. long are the days when i used to make dresses, the big full ones that the girls used to swing around. and long ago there were times of dinosaurs (boys halloween costumes) and of not to mention the thousand other things I made, it sure is fun, and I glad I get to share in your experiences, and see your creations. Also if you need anything let me know and I can usually get it here in Utah, or I have connections. One more thing, I haven't forgot about Kaiya tinker bell bag, just trying to find fabric, and some time. Will get it to you soon.
love ya
koren

echo said...

very cool!!

liko said...

so talented, melissa. seriously!

Melissa said...

I think the problem with fabric mart in Kaneohe is that they have a monopoly, so they don't need to be nice.
they don't even have great fabric, but we have to go there cause there isn't any other options

lizzie said...

Love it. We're impressed at how many cool things you've been making since we moved away. We never knew you were so artistic.

Noelle said...

That is SO cute!!

Leah Remillet said...

you are so talented! I love it!! Way to go mom, you are awesome!

Erin said...

that is sooo adorable!