Sunday, January 11, 2009

my life is changing for the better (and my new job)

I have always been very interested in healthy living (including diet and exercise), and have been very fortunate to have people in my life to help teach me about these things. I have learned a lot in the past five or six months about many aspects of health, including holistic health and medicine (whole health).

Chad's family has always been a major source for this type of learning in my life (mostly what we put into our bodies and the direct effect it has on our whole being) and lately I have had the opportunity to work more closely with these amazing people. One of these lovely ladies is Chad's Aunt Natalie, who helped me get my essential oil kit from Do Terra. And because she helped me get it, I have been given the job to filter through very interesting information regarding our health (that she has forwarded me from various sources) and post the relevant info on her website. I cannot believe what an amazing learning opportunity this has been, and will be, for me and I am so happy to be able to so this.

Tonight I made my first post entitled: Essentail Oils as antibiotics and antivirals, based on two very interesting articles (that I have linked on the post). I will posting on here for a while, so come back and check often!

a little bit about
what have I been learning lately:

long story short ([er]--but still read it pretty please), a few months back I was so sick of consuming what I knew to be too much sugar, it made me feel unhealthy and look unhealthy.
I also knew that I shouldn't HAVE to run to stay thin (if that was the case I was not eating the way my body was meant to be fed). So I pondered and prayed on the topic. Immediately after doing so I went directly to my pile of papers that I had been meaning to file or toss (with the intent to clean it up) and came across a booklet about the exact topic I was pondering. The booklet is entitled Daniel's Challenge (a six week challenge that will change your life) and is based on the book Original Fastfoods by James and Colleen Simmons.

I read the booklet and immediately knew that this was going to change me forever. I'm not sure why I felt like this, but a part of it was because it was so different than anything I had ever read and it is based on Daniel 1 in the old testament of the bible (read it, it's short). The main part of their diet was a pulse (a mix of sprouted nuts and grains etc), which is a lot of what Daniel's challenge is based on, and fresh fruit and veggies in their proper season.

I started the diet in the booklet, read a few more books and studied the word of wisdom in D&C. My conviction to do it and stick with it was strong, and honestly I believe it was because it's called a challenge and I am a very competitive person. So I did it, and I felt amazingly fresh and healthy. The cloud that I didn't even know existed, was lifted from my mind, and I was able to learn and comprehend things I couldn't before. This is a blessing promised in D&C 89:19: "And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures..."
I can tell you this is true cause I have experienced it myself.

I learned quite a bit during that short period of time and have since completely changed the way I eat. But I am not perfect, I am constantly learning and growing and I feel like I am just starting on a path I was meant to be on.

This leads me to where I am now. After I learned about what eating the right food can do for us, I was led to essential oils. Recently I have learned about the power in a drop of an essential oil.

Take for instance peppermint tea, it is said to ease such problems as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headaches baby colic (breastfeeding mothers are sometimes recommended to drink the tea so that its benefits will be passed on to the baby in the breast milk). It is also said to control mild asthma, manage stress and ward off the common cold. All these things are benefits of drinking peppermint tea. But did you know that there is he equivalent of 28 cups of peppermint tea in ONE drop of peppermint essential oil... ONE drop of peppermint essential oil has the benefits of 28 cups of tea! essential oils are a concentrated form of all those amazing benefits. Read more here.

I am learning about essential oils now and I'm astonished by all the things that they can do for our bodies and minds. It's amazing! I am grateful for this period of learning and I love that most of what our bodies need to thrive and be healthy are given to us on the earth already. I feel this is the way it was meant to be for optimal health and performance for our bodies,brains and entire self.

Thanks for reading! :)

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

excuse the sort of pun- but i am eating this up!! :)

i have always been interested in all of this and had fun applying some of it to my life as well.

sounds like you have more dedication though since i still enjoy my fries and treats, but i do enjoy ALL the healthy stuff too and mostly eat that and i LOVE IT! so keep posting away- i love to learn more.

AJ said...

very cool.

The Waldon Family said...

LOVED reading this post! Sounds like a great job to have; thanks for sharing.

liko said...

congratulations on the self-awareness and for enlightening others. i learned a lot in massage school too about similar things. there was a phase my mom and grandma went through with essential oils and i have a little kit that i use when i need it. aren't they great!? my problem is with the eating thing. i know what i should eat and how i should eat. and i also know that i emotionally compensate using food. not good. i long to get back on track in the health department and work out again and eat better. for my own well-being and so i can take care of my family better. i look forward to more of your posts, melissa!

stef j. said...

i love this post! it's obvious that i'm in severe need of some sort of intervention, whether dietary, with exercise, a combination ... change needs to happen.

your excitement and stick-to-it-ness is invigorating and encouraging! i'm excited for more posts!!

echo said...

great post! i too am very interested in these things. in fact i was talking with my sister the other day about getting certified in herbal remedies. and if i were to ever go back to school for a masters it would for sure be in nutrition. i am fascinated with this stuff which is the main reason i am an EXS person.
can't wait for your next post.

ashley said...

i just made the most amount of chocolate chip cookies ever- are we still friends? i only ate 1 1/2, promise.

really though, i have been thinking about this a lot too. for some strange reason i have been sort of made sick by the thought of meat, especially red- but i did eat a hot dog last night, once again, are we still friends? i am so happy to be in california where they have places like trader joe's right around the corner and i feel like it is easier to be healthier becuase it is not as much of a stretch to drive 5 minutes for more wholesome foods like it is in hawaii.
and the essential oils sound intresting, i am going to go read up on them now! thanks for always sharing such great stuff on your blog, seriously, your the best!

diana palmer said...

fasc---i-----naaaating.

we have recently moved to treats only on calendar holidays and birthdays. so pretty much the same thing. NOT. you go girl.

Anonymous said...

I have always been interested in these things. Forgive me if I post an almost identical post - i have been meaning to for a while now! We just got our oils 2 weeks ago, and I am loving them! I am ready to be healthy, no - i have always been ready. I just now have the push to really do it.