the sparkler's:

the second year in a row that she hated the fireworks:
and so here we are, with fellow firework hater Brylie, on the couch watching Alice in Wonderland.
me: brylie do you want a piece of candy?
Brylie: sure (notice the candy in her hand, untouched)
Me: do you not like it?
Brylie: well, I can only eat candy that doesn't have sugar in it, does this candy have sugar in it?
me: well yes, it's a gum drop. It's full of sugar. ( i felt like I was being interrogated)
Brylie: then I don't want it.
Brylie is four. maybe I can learn a thing or two from her about will power! haha--what a funny girl!
Then we put kaiya to bed and she was out. We hung out with our friends next door and had treats and good conversation. I checked on kaiya...she was still out so I went down to the street where the firework action was. Have you ever been here, in Laie, around this time of year? loud, illegal fireworks EVERYWHERE! it's craaaaaazy and fun. At 6:30 we went to Foodland and there was smoke everywhere, like a fire was about to consume us.
some of the big uns (photos courtesy of Ang):
The guys lit these beauties:
One of our friendly ward members happened to be walking by our apartment building, when they saw a screaming kaiya banging on our neighbors screen door, trying to find us. On top of that it was really close to midnight so it was insanely loud with shooting fireworks (her favorite thing).
I ran my way up stairs after the husband came and got me, while his wife was holding kaiya upstairs. Kaiya was cuddled up to her shoulder and Julianna put her sweater around her. When she handed her to me, her face was tear stained, she was doing the shutter cry, and she peed her pants. Julianna was holding her anyways (so sweet).
Good thing about a two year is old is that they get over things really fast, especially after a few Hershey Kisses. But, of course I felt so so bad. When I walked in the house with my baby koala wrapped in my arms, and I stepped on a puddle of her pee in the hallway, my imagination went wild. In my head she peed herself because she was scared and screaming, therefore disoriented. This girl NEVER cries like that, and she's never woken up while we were gone before, and she very very rarely pees her bed (maybe twice). So Then I felt really bad.
We cuddled with her on the couch for a little bit while she ate her chocolate, to help her feel better. Then she was ready to go back to bed. She just had to make she were weren't leaving again, she said: "don't leave okay?" and I told her that we were staying right here. She was happy and passed out fast (long, loud, scary night).
This probably didn't help her fear of New Year's eve and fireworks...oh well.
happy 2009 everyone!
* as a side note, so people know (especially those whose comments I deleted), we never leave kaiya alone in the apartment...ever. She was sleeping, it was new year's eve and on the street, literally twenty yards away is where the fireworks were. I stepped out for a few minutes to watch them when this happened. It would be the same thing as putting your child to bed in your house and running out side for a few minutes to watch fireworks in your front yard. I know there are many people who do that.
Kaiya is very well taken care of and loved in every aspect, but sometimes we make mistakes. Therefore you don't have to feel sorry for her, in anyway because she is always given what she
needs and is very loved.
9 comments:
oh poor poor kaiya!!! that is so sad, but sweet too because she just needed you to comfort her.
oh little kaiya ... i just want to give her a big hug.
addi hates fireworks too. luckily she slept through the mayhem that happened out here. it was CRAZY in hau'ula. burning cars, drunk folks wandering around, lots of "burning rubber" silliness.
but YAY ... now it's 2009!
aww, poor thing. that must have been terrifying!!
At least she was awake to welcome in the new year...
...right??
that explains why you and chad just disappeared so quickly!!! somehow I missed that whole scence. I like how you put the disclaimer about what a good parent you actually are as if any questioned that!!! :)
actually someone did.i just deleted their comment, because it was annoying and judgmental.
seriously...you are a better mom than anyone I know! Luke hates fireworks too. It sounds like you guys had a fun time! Chet and I just went to bed, fun fun fun
Wow!! your night sounded so much more eventful then mine had been.... And I think this year looks like a good year, Ki will surly like the fireworks then!! :D
and I must say, I agree with the masses... you're an amazing mom!
wow I have insanely bad Grammer when I comment on your post.....yiikkeesss ...haha
this story makes me laugh really hard.
am i a bad parent that i am totally planning on doing things like this all the time?
Post a Comment