Tuesday, May 17, 2011

one of the things that I am grateful for

 General Conference  is something that happens twice a year for in our church, it's in Oct and April and each conference lasts for two days.

our prophet Thomas S. Monson
It's a time when we have the opportunity to listen to and watch our church leaders speak to us.

They present inspirational messages that help us learn and grow, and the messages they share  have been prepared by each speaker.

No one gives them the topic that they need to speak on, they must prayerfully consider what topic our Heavenly Father wants us to hear. They always end up being exactly what I needed to hear.

Some people may ask why we would choose to listen to these men, and trust that what they have to say is good and for our benefit. The answer is really simple: if you hear and really listen to what they say, you know that their motivation is love. How can you not listen to someone whose motivation is pure love for YOU, and who are wholly devoted to Jesus Christ and his mission here on earth. Thats amazing to me. These men spend ALL of their time, energy and everything that they have for our church.

Why would they do that?

Because they know it's true. Because they personally know our Heavenly Father and his son Jesus Christ, and they know why we are here on this earth. Their only motivation is to obey our Heavenly Father and to help us reach our eternal goals. They're doing the Lord's work. They are not paid, most of them are highly educated men (surgeons, lawyers etc), that are retired.  They are sustained by each of the members of the church (myself and other members).

During General Conference time I learn a lot. What I learn depends on my attitude and how well I am paying attention. But when I hear and read the talks I feel that certain talks that are meant to help ME better myself and my life and family.

I really learned a lot from this talk. Especially the middle to end part where it talks about raising children with patience and love. I've been blessed with a child that tries my patience at all turns and always has. She is sweet, loving, thoughtful, super fun to be around, funny and smart.  She's also feisty, very determined and stubborn.  She, since birth, demands a lot of time patience and understanding.

I often wonder if I am doing the right thing with her... should i discipline her more? Are her consequences enough to help her learn? Am I too kind to her, to hard on her? etc. etc.

But when I heard this paragraph all of my concerns where answered in ONE little paragraph:

A sweet and obedient child will enroll a father or mother only in Parenting 101. If you are blessed with a child who tests your patience to the nth degree, you will be enrolled in Parenting 505. Rather than wonder what you might have done wrong in the premortal life to be so deserving, you might consider the more challenging child a blessing and opportunity to become more godlike yourself. With which child will your patience, long-suffering, and other Christlike virtues most likely be tested, developed, and refined? Could it be possible that you need this child as much as this child needs you?


It's so true, If I practice patience, kindness and love with her even if she is trying me to my limits, I learn to be better at those things everyday. And that helps me reach my purpose, I know that my purpose on this earth is to learn and grow and become more like Christ everyday.

Kaiya is helping me to learn more than I ever could have without her. She is helping me (slowly) to become a better person. I NEED HER! I am so grateful for her, for so many reasons. She is the one who is teaching me every minute of every day. I love her so much.

I am so grateful to be able to learn and grow on a personal level through reading these talks, that the leaders of our church have lovingly and prayerfully prepared for us.

Do you want to learn more about Jesus Christ? Click HERE

Do you want to learn more about the LDS church and what we believe? Click HERE 

2 comments:

ashley said...

amen sister! seriously, at times i feel like i should be in parenting special ed cause a am soooo lame and can be such a junk mom. i am glad my "teachers" give me a fresh start each day.

Morgan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.