Friday, October 07, 2011

my list of things I learned today.

I know that trials are apart of our life, and they are for our good so that we may become better...

“If all suffering and unhappiness could be removed from our lives, what kind of people would we be? I believe it would be impossible to produce strong,noble, generous, compassionate human beings if suffering were eliminated from their lives.”


found here.



....sometimes it's hard to remember that. And it's hard to remember that we are here to learn and grow, if we didn't have trials to teach us to reach outside of ourselves, we couldn't do that. 


I think that often times I fail the test of handling a trial with grace and dignity and accepting it as a part of life. How do you keep patience? How do you know if you are handling it the right way? Is there more to it than just pushing through it until you make it past the trial? I seriously don't know. I guess as time goes on we begin to understand and more fully accept that trials make us better... and perhaps welcome them? And that the best we can do is our best and repent and be better when we are not our best? 


So instead of rehashing the things that didn't go my way today. I am going to list the things that I learned that I want to be better at tomorrow (and every day after that). Some of these things are things I have learned more than once. 




1) Kids are sensitive (even if they don't seem like they are), Their inner peace and balance can be thrown off easily. They need to be well fed (NOT HUNGRY!!), well rested, well loved and happily occupied to truly be at peace and maintain homeostasis in her body and mind. 


    (I always try my best to make sure that the checklist to maintaining my daughter's peace is checked off, BUT I can't always provide her with all of the things she needs ALL of the time. Especially when she is at school and I am at home....hmm) 


2) Our children also have trials in their lives and It is not good for me to take those learning experiences away from them all the time. 
Again this quote perfectly applies: "I believe it would be impossible to produce strong,noble, generous, compassionate human beings if suffering were eliminated from their lives.”


What I can do is teach, love, guide and pray. a lot. about how to be there for them and find inspiration on what I can do.


3) messes can be cleaned up tomorrow. babies and big kids need to be held and played with today.


4) babies---scratch that. Toddlers can learn to put themselves to sleep, and stay asleep at night, even if it is painful. 


5) you can't change the weather so you have to get creative inside the house, when it's raining ice cold rain.


6) make dinner before going to the thrift store...


7) I need to find some creative things on pinterest for kids to do, so I can make dinner without holding one and putting the other in front of a show.


8) Even educational shows and age appropriate cartoons are NOT the best way for my children to be spending their time. even if they insist.


9) it is good to say NO to my children sometimes. Even though I usually live by the motto of saying yes as often ad I can... I need to say no too. NEED to. (this is hard for me)


10) my children are smart, beautiful, wonderful people and they are children of their Heavenly Father. I need to do as he would do.


11) my husband is too and I need to treat him as such. 


12) Look for the good in every situation.


13) it's ok...no, it's important to say sorry when I need to.  (sometimes i have pride issues :))


and lastly...


14) Naps are good and rejuvenating, I should take them more, while Noah naps and Kaiya is at school.



6 comments:

Janet said...

What great advice!

One thing I heard once was HALT and ask yourself if you or your children are: Hungry, Angry, Lonely (bored) or Tired. Sometimes that's all it takes to get things back on track

Susan said...

You're so wise! Hopefully tomorrow is better :) Way to be positive and learn from your trials... something I'm definitely working on. Hope you guys are doing well!

Stephanie said...

love you!

terri said...

Your AWESOME!

David and Mona said...

I really loved this! You are amazing and inspiring!

Mary Boyd said...

I love this and it is so hard for all of us to remember those things. This will cause a lot less stress for my family, thank you.