Friday, August 18, 2006

A Mother's Love


Need I say more?


I'm uploading all the videos and will post links in a little bit. I'm also trying to figure out a good way to let everyone see all the pictures we're taking as well (w/o flooding the blog) -- if you have a good idea, please let me know!!

10:42am: Here are the video links I promised: Belly Button Cleaning, Great Grandma Doren w/ Kaiya, Uncle Dan w/ Kaiya, and Aunt Katie w/ Kaiya.

12:09pm: I figured it was about time to tell the story about Kaiya's delivery.

So, it's late Friday night -- the doctor had told us on Wednesday that Melissa wasn't dilated at all, and only 20% effaced, so there was no way she'd be having the baby. I was up reading and surfing the web late and hit the sack at about 2am Saturday morning.

30 minutes later... Chad... Chad... CHAD!! 2:30am, Melissa's water had broke, but we weren't quite sure what to do since there was a lot of blood -- Melissa asked me to look it up online and I started to do so (being a little bit delirious at the time). 5minutes into researching, I thought to myself, what the heck am I doing!! I need to call the doctor, so we did. Dr. Shimizu said that she'd call the hospital and tell them we were coming and she'd be in to see us.

So, we showered and cleaned up -- Melissa had already packed up everything and was prepared for the trip so we just said a prayer and jumped in the car (probably about 3:45am). On the way to the hospital, Melissa was definitely having contractions, but right after we checked in, it seemed like they stopped. Dr. Shimizu checked Melissa and a lot of other stuff to make sure that Melissa didn't have internal bleeding and the baby was fine -- she decided that Melissa was at a tight 1cm at the time.

Anyway, lots of tests, IVs and a few hours later, they moved us into room 117 (an actual birthing room); Melissa was having strong contractions every few minutes or so. We just tried to talk a little, walk around the birthing center and work through the contractions. Melissa was doing awesome.

2:30pm -- it's been a long day already, and Dr. Shimizu just got back from her morning appointments to check Melissa. We find out that Melissa went from a tight 1cm to a loose 1cm-1.5cm. That was frustrating for me, after seeing all that Melissa was going through (and for Melissa, of course). After considering Melissa's options for pain relief, we decided that getting an epidural was a great idea (and we are soooooo glad we did).

7:00pm -- the Doctor says she's going to check in a bit, but they had to give Melissa a shot of Pictocin because it seemed like Melissa's contractions disappeared right after she got her epidural. I decided to run to the grocery store to snag some apple juice for Melissa and some food for me, thinking that she was still at a 2 or a 3. About 7:30pm, Melissa calls me to tell me to get back to the hospital, the Doctor checked her and she was at a 6 or 7; apparently they had the contraction measuring device in the wrong spot on Melissa's belly -- she was having contractions the whole time.

To be continued later when my hands stop aching...

No comments: