I've been wanting to watch the movie Waitress since last May, and have been waiting so patiently for it to come out on DVD. Finally it came out on Nov 27h and was at spot number one on our netflix queue, so we got it pretty quickly and watched it tonight. I honestly loved this movie, it was heart warming, clever, funny, silly, sad, really well written and well acted (I must add a disclaimer that it's not a movie for every ones eyes, maybe read screenit.com first).I liked how it was a lighthearted comedy and not too serious. Some parts of it were so much like real life to me. I identified with that amazing feeling of empowerment you get from from having a child, which was perfectly portrayed at the end of this movie. But mostly I just really enjoyed watching this film, and I didn't take it too seriously it just warmed my heart and made me feel good.
When we like movies as much as this one we always look at the extras. One of the extras is a memorial to Adrienne Shelly--the writer and director of the film. It was weird to see the words "memorial", because she also acted in the film and didn't seem like she was more than 35 years old. We looked it up on wikipedia and found that before the film had even been accepted into the Sundance film festival she was murdered in her Manhattan apartment. She was a 40 yeard old married mother of a two year old girl, and she was killed by a construction worker who was angry because she complained about how loud he was while working on the apartment below hers. How sad is that? It is ironic that she died right after completing her film, but before it was released to see how it was received by the public. Very sad that a little girl will grow up with out her mother because someone was angry enough to kill.
Anyway, heavy topic but lighthearted fun movie. I think that this movie is great and that Adrienne Shelly did an amazing job on her last piece of work, and that you may like it too.
3 comments:
it is good to hear a review about this movie. i saw it at ohana video and almost got it but i wasn't sure if it was any good. i will now go out and rent it. thanks melissa.
yeah, i saw kerri russell get interviewed for this movie a while back and thought the same thing- that i really wanted to see it but would probably have to wait until it came out on dvd- i will definitely have to check it out!
They opened this new dollar theater in provo and 2 screens are dedicated to only showing independent films and I saw this there. It was quite the steal for a dollar. I really liked it and loved how they incoprorated the recipes and pies with the feelings. My favorite line reads, "Dear Damn Baby," I laughed uncontrollably. Interesed and so sad to read about Adrienne Shelly. Bizarre and sad.
Post a Comment