Monday, May 05, 2008

Developing Charity...

I don't post very often, but I couldn't help but share a scripture that someone else shared with me tonight. Recently, I had pondered on how to cultivate charity in my heart/life and this scripture seemed like it was the perfect answer to my question.

2 Peter 1: 1-8:
1 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,

3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness [Moroni 10:32];

7 And to godliness brotherly kindness [Matthew 22:39]; and to brotherly kindness charity.

8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

6 comments:

ashley said...

sometimes i feel like i don't take enough time to develope all those attributes, and might feel a little "barren and unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord..."
thanks for the post, i will get to work on that!

Melissa said...

thanks for the post-- it's a good reminder. :)

Jennelle said...

I really loved that...thanks for posting it =o)I seriously have felt spiritually depleted this last week.

stef j. said...

I love this scripture too Chad. I like how it lays it out as a progressive endeavor beginning with faith. We read in so many places that we need to have charity, but it seems here that we're taught how to develop it.

Thanks!

Shanae said...

I really like that you posted that, in all my craziness lately I haven't really stopped and pondered much of anything. Thanks!

Also, send my an email so that I can invite you guys to my blog, I decided to go private!

shanaeljones@yahoo.com

Chet said...

sweet dude