Chad was torturing a sand crab, and I was really irritated by that. So, while I was trying to ignore Chad and distract Kaiya from watching him, we watched the sand crabs eat blue bubbles, I briefly looked in the ocean and saw this floating right by the shore. I've kind of, sort of been looking out for one for a while, and I was really excited that I found it.
Chad thought I was crazy, for being so excited. He said he couldn't believe that I freaked out about him killing a sand crab to "study" it, but have no problem getting trash out of the ocean. Haha!! While I was cleaning the algae and stuff off of it a guy came up to me and our conversation went something like this:
man: "do you know what that is?"
me: "yeah"
then he quickly said: "can I have it?"
I replied "no, I think I want it."
he said: "I collect these, can I buy it from you?"
of course I asked him how much, but he wasn't really wanting to pay for it, he just thought I was going to give it to him. So I kept it, but in the meantime another guy came up and told me his version of what it was used for and when it was made. He said that Japanese fisherman used to sit in their boats and drink beer all night and get drunk. Then when they were all done with the bottles they'd smash up the glass and use a glass blower, that they had on the boat, to blow them into glass balls. They'd then use thme to hold up their fishing nets. He said that they aren't made anymore, and by the looks of it, this one is 40 years old. I don't know if d he's right but it's kind of a cool thought to think it's been floating int he ocean for forty years.
Both of the guys were really excited about it, so Chad changed his mind about me being a crazy lady afterall.
I looked it up when I got home and this is what wikipedia said.
14 comments:
that is very very extremely cool. i think i knew someone, at some point that had one, but since i cant remember who it seems like i am making this up... i guess i DO know someone who has one now (you)!
that is totally awsome!
you, i am so jealous/envious right now!!! i have lived here my ENTIRE life and have had other people in my family find them, but i never have. i want to find one before i die. yes, they are old floaters. my grandparents have HUGE ones, i would be content with one in any size, intact and not broken. yay for you!!! what sucks is that about two weeks ago one of my husband's friends from oregon showed us the one that he found. you guys have all the luck...
yeah, i have been looking for one forever. last time my parents were here they found one and i totally figured they would give it to me, but no, they took it home. i was a little mad.
great score. isn't it amazing that they float around the ocean for so long then just wash ashore? so cool
Oh my gosh!!! That is awesome. I'm SO jealous! I love glass floats and like everybody in Hawaii, have always wanted to find one. I'm so glad you knew what it was and didn't just hand it over to that idiot. That's awesome Melissa!
That's pretty sweet. I remember hearing about them when we lived there. Lucky girl.
Just so everyone knows... I didn't actually KILL the sand crab. Kaiya and I returned him to the ocean after inspecting his eyes and claws and his aggressive attack stance. :)
He still lives! In the deep blue sea...
haha!! after you pounded him with a two-by-four for ten minutes.
HOPEFULLY he still lives in the deep blue sea.
i too have searched high and low ... mostly low ... for those.
so glad you didn't give it to random man on the beach. seriously, he asks if you know what it is then asks for you to GIVE it to him??!! what a nut.
That is really really cool. There is a guy in my ward that served in Japan on the mish and he has tons! I never knew what they were, way to insight me.. love the table and wall decal too
Way cool! I always hoped I'd find one while in Hawaii. I have looked into buying them at specialty boutiques and they can be pricey. Great find!
I'd be super excited too! I totally want one of those. That's awesome!
bike path = north shore
oooooh! so lucky. The 4 1/2 years I was in Hawaii I always wanted to find one but never did =o(. What a great find!!!!
Post a Comment