Chad tried to shoo it away from our window but it kept sneaking past the closed louvers, so then he'd open them again and hit it out, only for it to sneak back in. Finally we turned off the light and closed the louvers and it went away. Our window is still closed, because he is not welcome here.
I had to walk to the library a few minutes later so I put on jeans and a sweater so it couldn't touch my skin in case it attacked me. I kept having images flash into my head of this moth pelting itself against me like it was to our bathroom window. Luckily I was not attacked. phew.

I also looked it up before I left in case it was dangerous and some strange occurrence was taking place where they all congregated and started attacking people viciously, like in The Birds, except with moths. But luckily it's generally harmless, and it's called a sphinx moth. So waaaatch out, if you think you see a cute hummingbird (I've confused the two of them a couple of times), you might be mistaken and find your self staring at a huge man eating moth. Okay not really but they are really creepy.
AND...
Tonight we were sitting around the table, eating dinner and kaiya said "mommy there is a big spider"(pretty calmly I might add). I looked up to the spot she was pointing to (our ceiling) and I yelled at Chad to come kill it (he's our resident bug killing machine) because there is no way in he--double hockey sticks I am getting any where near that thing. It was huge but Chad used his spider killing ninja skills to take it out. So after a few minutes of plotting he hit it straight on and killed it with one shot. What a manly man, don't know what I'd do without him, but I'd probably be overrun with spiders and moths because I'd be in my room hiding under the covers.
I just don't even think I can put these pictures on my blog. I can't even stand to look at them. But yes they are that ugly and that big. The one on our wall was about five inches in diameter. What a terrifying giant spider, at least they're not poisonous and they don't bite. But they do run super fast and they don't make webs, so that means they chase all their prey down! Don't they jump too?
I have only seen four or five of these scary spiders since I moved here. Two of them were in my houses. I cried the first time I saw one. I cried like a baby and a shook for like an hour (haha--i'm not kidding). I used to deathly despise bugs, I think I had a mild phobia. BUT after living in Hawaii for a few years I've gotten used to them. I don't like them, but at least tonight when I saw this monstrosity I didn't curl up in the corner and cry, like I did last time (haha...what a wuss).
Okay here is a picture my post is just not complete without it.
20 comments:
okay, i don't want to scare you even more, but those things jump and do bite. the bites aren't deadly, but they are not very pleasant. i am pretty sure that is what bit me on my back shoulder over my left scapula a year or two ago. i will show you the ugly scar. i saw one on my headboard on my side of the bed one night, and tried to kill it. but it got away. my whole life i have had a phobia of these spiders, just because they are so ugly and scary-looking. anyways, like a week later i had a rash all over my torso and then one night i looked in the mirror and saw a red spot about the size of a nickel. everyday i would look at it, at first it was just red, then the top layer of skin started to peel a little, like how a blister gets rubbed. and then over a week's time it progressed. i can go into detail, but it gets pretty nasty. i was sure i had flesh-eating disease and thought i was gonna die. and stupid me didn't want to go to the doctor. then i googled 'spider bites' and mine looked exactly how the progression of the pictures in the 'spider bite cycle' looked. to sum it up: the spider's venom (not lethal, but capable of causing damage) was stuck in that spot, so it pretty much ate a shallow crater in that red spot. it got scabbed over and when the scab came off, there was a nasty crater that has healed over to look like those scars people have on their upper arms from the vaccinations they used to give back in the day. anyways, i am pretty sure it was a cane spider. i don't know anyone else who has gotten bit to compare the scar with. the thing is, i have heard of some people in hawaii getting bit by brown recluse spiders, those bites are waaaay worse, similar but on a grander scale. and they kind of look like cane spiders. i hate big spiders. kill them if you see them!
well here i am casually checking blogs before i head off to dream land tonight.... and then i read THIS!!!!!!
thanks a lot. :)
but i can relate. seriously creepy and those beasts used to live in jeannie's house (and probably still do) and me and bille would scream and do our best to kill them but really we were terrified and would have to get the men folk to take care of it... yuck.
the end.
We were clearing out "farmland" the other day and there are some CRAZY looking bugs!!!
Seriously, we were raking away some of the dry weeds and what not and the ground underneath looked like it was Moving!!
I'm just grateful that we haven't seen any centipedes in our house!!! I've heard horror stories of those from people that live closer to the farm.
eee
That moth sounds sick!! I Hate moths.
and just fyi I haven't heard the term "H E Double hockey sticks" ForEVER and today I read it twice on blogs.
The giant moths are one thing I don't miss about Hawaii...yuck, yuck, yuck!
oh! i Hate these guys! here is my story-last week sunday i was in the bathroom getting undressed to get into the shower. i pulled the curtain aside and started the water the put the curtain back. as i was sliding in the shower i saw something brown on the bottom corner of the curtain where i was getting in. not even thinking i looked over and shook the curtain to see what it was, and screamed the girliest girl scream i have ever screamed and went running out of the bathroom completely naked. luckily marc was there to kill it. but i must admit, i didn't take a shower that day or for like 3 days after. i was too scared. gross
when i lived on the point we used to get those moths all the time and they would come inside and they were the worst, i hate them! glad you didn't get attacked! and thanks for the complement on the blanket, it only took me 4 months to finish 2 and i still have 2 in the works, ugh!
i'm am SO with you! i hate the spiders and the moths.
case tries to point out how beautiful they are and how cool it is that they get so big. (the moths, that is, not the spiders) and he lets them go free in the wild.
kill kill kill. that's all i think. protect me and my child folk. kill the beasts!
ok that is seriously disgusting!!!
yeah, not such a fan of the bugs there. But this post does remind me that I've yet to see a roach in our new apartment (we've been here six months) or any spiders or anything gross.
I <3 NY.
ewwww... i agree with you on both little creatures. they're nasty.
I had the cane spider the other day at work and i too called in my husband to get it. it started jumping and we all freaked out. :)
hey melissa- incase i don't get over to your house to give you the invite i thought i would write it on here.
adelaide's 2nd b-day party
monday feb 9th
9am
meet at the zoo!!
bring your own sandwich we will provide the chips, drinks, and of course the cupcakes.
i know you might be teaching but i wanted to let you know that you are invited anyway. maybe kaiya can come down with chad or with a friend if she wants.
It's amazing how long those phobias stay with you. I'll be in my bathroom, think I see something in the corner of my eye and start freaking out that it's a roach. Then I calm down and remember there aren't any here! Unfortunately there are still spiders and I kill them all just because I know we have black widows! Be ever so grateful the spiders in Hawaii are not poisonous!! As for the moth, my fourth grade teacher told us that if a moth enters someone's house or room it's supposed to bring you good luck! They're still gross!
liko--shanae had a bite like that on her arm too. I think all just assumed it was from a brown recluse. BUt now i think it ma have been a cane spider too. That freaks me out that they bite! someone told me they didn't!!!!
Cane spiders are the worst!!!!! They are so fast and scary. One thing I don't miss about Hawaii. I like Moths though, they are beautiful to me. Although I wasn't tormented as a child with them either.
dont forget aloha friday beach day starts back up tomorrow! details on my blog...
AAUUUUGGGGHHHH
Liko we should compare scars, totally sounds like what happened to me :(
This brings back creepy memories of of me yelling at brian that he need to find that sipder and kill it so i could go to sleep. It only took about an hour of slowly pulling things out of the the closet it was in to get it. Occasionally I will have nightmares about those spiders...that is one thing I do not miss
Holy Cow!!! Creepy..Creepy...Creepy! I don't think I can go to bed now.
Post a Comment