
I've been feeling like I want to help more. Who? well I guess whoever I can find that needs something that I can give. The thought of helping someone and making a difference to that one person's life means a lot to me. I feel guilty that I haven't been better at it, that I haven't done more in the past. I have everything I need and a lot of things I want, but there are people who don't have the basic necessities: food, shelter, love, clothing.
I want to remedy that feeling of not doing enough to love and serve those around me. I've been thinking of what I can do to really help others, the more I thought the more my ideas evolved. Then I had the idea to start a service club. Very similar to a book club or a sewing club: we'd be spending time with other adults, to get out of the house, have a social life, learning and becoming better at something, while also making friends and doing something productive. The only difference is that we will be combining forces to love and serve those around us.
My thoughts are that we would meet for the first meeting to gather ideas of things we could do locally (or globally) to help those that may need it, and set up a schedule of what we're doing ans when. Then each month or every couple of months we would have a different "project" we'd work on together however often we decide to meet.
The idea is the more the merrier, because the more hands we have working together the more people we can help. So I hope you will join me in my small dream to make the world a better place. Lets help a newborn baby stay warm, with blankets made with love. Lets take a loaf of bread and time to chit chat with a person who may be lonely. Lets do anything we can to serve.
Some ideas I've had are:
- baking loafs of bread and taking them to the elderly at pond of puunaluu
- making and assembling newborn kits. (click here, it's a motivating story)
- making/sewing things that are needed by the church humanitarian services
- serving food at a homeless shelter
- cleaning the house of a sick or tired friend
- volunteer for literacy programs
I hope you will come full of ideas and gusto, to the first meeting which will be held:
next Wednesday evening the 25th at 8:30pm at my house (comment with your email address if you don't know where I live).
It's going to be short and sweet, I promise, we are meeting to get some great ideas and set up a calender.
I am excited to get this rolling and I can't wait to hear your ideas. Let me know if you think you can make it in the comments, and if the timing isn't quite right for you (earlier or later). But keep in mind it should only take about 30-45 minutes to get this things figured out.
I can't wait! I hope I see you there!

10 comments:
Erika and I have been talking about this sort of thing for a few weeks now. we want to make quilts for the church humanitarian services. They are almost always high on their list of needs!
I'll be there for sure!
What a good idea! This has also been on my mind a lot. I have a friend who has been through a lot the past year so i am trying to help her in any way I can. You can read about her at scadlock.blogspot.com. Maybe one of your ideas can be to help out her family.
that is such a great idea! i wish i could come (i find myself typing that sentence all too often these days when i look at all my hawaii friends blogs!).
my friend kelly is doing a quilting project for the church humanitarian efforts. she might need some blankets still- kellymccaleb.typepad if you want to get ahold of her!
good luck and let me know if there is anything i could do to help you guys help!
That is so great! I'm gonna try to come!!
such a great idea!!! i feel like i need to give some service! this is a great jump-start! i'll be there!
Hey great idea, sounds like relief society but on a more intimate level. Good luck
You are so awesome! Seriously. I love that you are doing this, I wish I was in Hawaii to be there with you. I hope it goes great and really look forward to hearing updates on your blog on how your efforts bless people (as I know they will!!)
I always love checking your blog, I'm always inspired, spiritually, creatively, parentally... You are just fantastic!
oh bum. i LOVE the idea. next wed. is casey's bday and we're booked.
but i'll be there next time!
that is a wonderful idea. you are so thoughtful. i want to be a part of the club but i unfortunately can't make it that night. my parents will be flying in from new mexico then. could i get a copy of the calendar and the details later?
This is so inspiring. I have felt this urge this past year to do the same. Another idea is to ask your bishop for people in the area who may need some help. They are a great resource and someone to help point you in the right direction!
Post a Comment