Thursday, July 09, 2009

sketch-a-flower

at least that's what this looks like to me...a sketch of some flowers.


I have a weird relationship with white t-shirts. weird because I hate the way they look with just about everything (on me). Weird because somewhere deep down in side I decided that white matches everything, therefore I can wear a plain, boring white t with anything. Not true (in my case). So I really felt like I needed to spruce it up a bit, then at least when I wear it I don't feel so boring.

It may be hard to tell in these pictures, but what I did is cut out different sized circles from a white shirt, sewed around them (for each layer) and sewed little, messy circles in the middle, for the center of the flower. I tried my hand with the reverse applique on the leaves, fun to do. Did it before with felt, but this is a little bit different.

With this one I cut out circles and pinched them to look like flowers. sewed the the layers together, sewed them on the shirt, done. A breath of fresh air for an old shirt that I never wear.


and...

This is the trapeze dress form Heather Ross's weekend sewing. Am I happy with it? no. why? for lots of reasons:
1) I didn't have enough fabric so I had to use an old sheet that turns out didn't have enough fabric left either.
2) therefore it is really short, pocketless and lame. It looks weird on and it was waaaaaay too large so I took it in which made it look even wierder.

So why am I posting about this if I am not proud of it?

answer 1: so that stephanie can see that I actually am using her book that she so graciously offered to me to use while she is away.

answer 2: because I still made it and like I've said before there something special about anything that you make with your own two hands.

answer 3: I make lots of mistakes and i want to show it all.
haha! I have no words for you poor little "trapeze" dress/shirt/probably gonna be a maternity shirt someday. Until then may you hang in my closet in peace.

11 comments:

lizzie said...

I have a lot of shirts (that I did not have the talent to make) that I have been saving for my "maternity wardrobe." The quotes are because I actually really dislike maternity clothes and would much rather just wear long, stretchy shirts for the whole 9 months. That said, I think your trapeze shirt is really cute and I would probably wear it even if I wasn't prego. :)

Stephanie said...

haha- when i read "weekend sewing" i DID think- oh good she is getting some good use out of it. :) sorry it didnt work out but from where i sit it looks pretty dang cute and hearing you say a maternity shirt for the future makes my heart flutter! :)

i love the things you make. teach me!

echo said...

i love the fabric/sheet material and i love the flowers on the shirt.
i have been wanting to make that trapeze dress for a while now and never got around to it. how was it big? like wide or something? i might try to make it soon, maybe you can come over and help me with it.?

liko said...

yeah, um, let me know when you start using that as a maternity shirt...and i love all your ideas with sprucing up t-shirts!! i have all these ideas i wanna do when i start making my own stuff, but i like your idea of using what you got (semi-homemade) instead of making new ones from scratch, and recycling old stuff and making new stuff out of it. did that make sense? anways, i love seeing all the things you are making, you gals seriously got me addicted to sewing and making SOMEthing. and i am into the embellishments!!! they make an outfit!!

liko said...

p.s. did you get the flowers on the collar idea from katiedid? i LOVE love l=o=v=e.

Trevor and Lauren said...

You are so talented! Holy cow. I just tried sewing curtains and it didn't go so well.

ashley said...

those flowers are so cute! love the ones in white!

thanks for posting your mistakes, makes me feel better! ha ha

liko said...

you seriously crack me up, melissa!! and are you counting from left to right?? if so, then the first one in the top row is from that free patch my husband got in his surfer mag months back (the same one ashley posted about the girl who sewed a bikini out of them??) it was in my scrap pile and totally reminds me of the 80's. as for the third in the top (the black and white) that's a linen from my mom's stash, but i have tons of that one. and the other ones you liked came in forms of free fabric charm squares that came with some of my fabric orders from etsy. don't know the exact names, but i'm sure you can see them on etsy somewhere...
and so that thing you use behind embroidery is simply iron-on interfacing?? if so then i have some. i'll give it a shot. thanks!!! and yeah, let's play!!

The Scotts said...

Holy crap Moo... I am so impressed with your crafty-ness! I knew you were talented but jeez... you blow me away! I hope that someday I will find the time to make fun things for my kids and "spice" up my wardrobe! You inspire me to make something new!!!Keep posting your creations they give me great ideas!!! love ya!

RuSty and LaLa said...

why are you even messing with teaching you are a designer! I am so impressed. I have no talent for this kind of stuff!

Erin said...

first off i love the dress!
secondly those flower shirts, they sell at jcrew for $60/pop. You should sell them on etsy. Seriously you are so talented, I wish you could teach me how to sew!